Prevalence of urinary tract infection and antibiotic sensitivity pattern in children with severe acute malnutrition from 6 months to 5 years in a tertiary care centre


Original Article

Author Details : Mithlesh Dewangan*, Prateek Sharma

Volume : 6, Issue : 4, Year : 2020

Article Page : 152-157

https://doi.org/10.18231/j.ijmpo.2020.035



Suggest article by email

Abstract

Background: Malnutrition is major health problem in developing countries of the world. Almost 45% in India and a similar number in developing countries are undernourished. The resistance of human beings to infection is adversely affected in malnutrition. Prevalence of UTI in malnourished children varies in different studies.
Materials and Methods: This is cross sectional study was conducted on severely malnourished children, aged between 6 months and 5 years, either attending the Pediatrics out-patients department (OPD) or admitted in the Pediatric ward of Chandulal Chandrakar Memorial Medical College, Durg, during the period from October 2017 to August 2019.
Results: Urine culture samples were collected by suprapubic aspiration in 205 (84%) patients and by midstream clean catch in the remaining 39 (16%). Out of this the data of 24 children was removed from the final analysis as there was suspicion of contamination of their urine cultures. Of the remaining 220 children enrolled (75 boys and 145 girls), the urine culture reports of 111 (50.45%) children were urine culture positive and 109 (49.5%) were sterile.
Conclusions: Prevalence of UTI is common (50.45%) in children with SAM in our study. In our study, Urinary tract infection was more common in females than males. Fever was the most common presenting symptom with UTI in SAM children.

Keywords: Antibiotic spectrum, Malnutrition, Urinary tract infection.


How to cite : Dewangan M , Sharma P , Prevalence of urinary tract infection and antibiotic sensitivity pattern in children with severe acute malnutrition from 6 months to 5 years in a tertiary care centre. IP Int J Med Paediatr Oncol 2020;6(4):152-157


Copyright © 2020 by author(s) and IP Int J Med Paediatr Oncol. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (creativecommons.org)



View Article

PDF File   Full Text Article


Downlaod

PDF File   XML File   ePub File


Digital Object Identifier (DOI)

Article DOI

https://doi.org/10.18231/j.ijmpo.2020.035


Article Metrics






Article Access statistics

Viewed: 267

PDF Downloaded: 107